In consultation with the Sexual & Gender Diversity Office (SGDO) and Queer U of T Employees (QUTE), our partners at Green Shield are undergoing a review of covered benefits and reviewing their in-house training and communications with a focus on trans health.
They have already conducted research and consultations with WPATH/CPATH, the provincial government, Rainbow Health, Sherbourne Clinic and GRS in Montreal. They are now hoping to get input from U of T employees as clients and users of their services. The SGDO and QUTE will host 3 focus groups for trans and nonbinary staff, faculty and librarians, as well as staff, faculty and librarians with trans and nonbinary dependents, for input.
Please note, this is for appointed staff and faculty only.
- Focus Group 1: December 02 @ 12:00pm – Trans and nonbinary staff, faculty and librarians
- Focus Group 2: December 04 @ 11:00am – Staff, faculty and librarians with trans and nonbinary dependents (children, partners, etc)
- Focus Group 3: December 11 @ 12:00pm – Both trans and nonbinary staff, faculty and librarians and staff, faculty and librarians with trans and nonbinary dependents
Our colleagues at Green Shield are asking for any and all input to inform their process. Some questions that will help to guide our conversation:
- Where are the gaps? What deficiencies currently exist in benefits packages for trans people? What are the pain points?
- Where do things need to be different for trans people? What new benefits would you like covered?
- Are there forms, authorizations, or other bureaucratic processes that need changing?
- Is there any language or use of terms that needs changing?
- Have you had particular experiences with call centres or other staff encounters with Green Shield that were positive or negative? Can you share details about these?
- If you could inform a training agenda for staff at Green Shield, is there a particular message that you would want to pass along?
- In an ideal world, what would you like to see covered by Green Shield?
Staff from Green Shield will join by video conference.
Lunch will be provided.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon November 27, 2019 and indicate:
- Your role at the university (appointed staff, faculty or librarians)
- Date and time of focus group you would like to attend
- Any dietary restrictions.
If you are unable to attend one of the focus groups but would still like to provide feedback or input into this process, please contact David Pereira, Interim Director, Sexual & Gender Diversity Office: email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your input into this important process. We are excited to be working with Green Shield to bring important changes to the services they provide for trans employees and trans and nonbinary dependents of employees at the University of Toronto.