An independent review into the hiring for the position of director of the International Human Rights Program (IHRP) at the U of T’s Faculty of Law found that external influence did not play a role in the decision to discontinue the search. Such an inference was the basis of an allegation made by some that academic freedom had been breached. But the review concluded this was unjustified.
The review, by the Hon. Thomas Cromwell, C.C., former Supreme Court of Canada Justice, concluded the candidate was not hired for this professional manager (PM4) (non-academic) role because of immigration and timing issues, and not as a result of external influence. While negotiations were at an advanced stage, no formal job offer had been made or rescinded. The University has adopted all of the recommendations in the Cromwell report.
Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) Censure Against University of Toronto
Subsequent action by the Canadian Association of University Teachers to censure the University has been disappointing and is not supported by Mr. Cromwell’s findings.
The University is strongly committed to upholding the principles and practice of academic freedom and merit-based hiring, free of external interference.
PM Protections Advisory Committee
The Vice-President & Provost and Vice-President, People Strategy, Equity, and Culture are composing an advisory group to examine protections for Professional/Managerial staff with professional credentials who lead clinical or experiential learning opportunities and whose duties require them to tackle topics likely to arouse controversy.
The Advisory Group will conduct consultations with members of the University on the issues under consideration and are seeking input from all members of our U of T community.
The Acting Vice-President and Provost and the Vice-President, People Strategy and Culture are therefore inviting responses to the Call for Submissions.
- Faculty of Law Update: International Human Rights Program (September 17, 2021)
- Updated Provostial Guidelines on Donations (September 8, 2021)
- Faculty of Law resumes the hiring process for the Director of the International Human Rights Program (June 7, 2021)
- Memo from the Provost and the Vice-President, Human Resources & Equity re. the CAUT Censure (May 27, 2021)
- President’s letter to the community regarding the CAUT vote (April 23, 2021)
- President’s letter to faculty and librarians regarding the IHRP program (April 20, 2021)
- President’s letter to CAUT (April 20, 2021)
- President’s response to the Cromwell Report (March 29, 2021)
- President’s letter to CAUT regarding the Cromwell Report (March 29, 2021)