- February 24, 2009
- PDAD&C; Professional and Managerial Staff
- Christina Sass-Kortsak, Assistant Vice-President, Human Resources
- USW General Membership Meetings
In the last round of bargaining with the USW Staff-Appointed bargaining unit, we negotiated several changes to the language regarding USW General Membership Meetings that should make it easier to accommodate the required release time.
These changes include the following:
- two (2) of the three (3) meetings will be video conferenced from the St. George campus to UTM and UTSC (i.e. early release for travel to St. George will only be granted once per year)
- at least one of the meetings will be held over the lunch hour
- employees must notify their manager, at least one week in advance of each meeting date, if they are going to attend the meeting
Employees are to be released for up to two (2) hours with no loss of straight time pay in order to attend these meetings.
The United Steelworkers Local 1998 has scheduled General Membership meetings on the following dates for 2009:
April 7 at 3:30pm
St.George: OISE Auditorium
UTM: CC 3130
UTSC: MW229 (Management Building)
October 14 at 12 noon
Locations: TBA (video conference)
This meeting includes the employee’s lunch period if it would normally occur at or about this time.
December 10 at 3:30pm
Location: Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street
For the December meeting Only:
We ask that those staff-appointed employees wishing to participate in the meeting who are represented by USW on the St. George Campus be permitted to leave at 3:15 p.m. and those employees at the University of Toronto at Scarborough and Mississauga and the Institute for Aerospace Studies be permitted to leave at 2:45 p.m. in order to participate in the meeting.
There is no comparable clause in the non-appointed (casual) collective agreement. However, such employees may attend on their own time if they are not scheduled to work.