- Date: April 20, 2010
- To: PDAD&C; Professionals / Managers
- From:Christina Sass-Kortsak, Assistant Vice President, Human Resources
- Re: Implementation of Vacation Tracking on HRIS for USW Staff
As part of an overall strategy to improve the availability and accuracy of attendance-related information, we are moving towards centralized absence tracking on HRIS for all staff. Implementation has been phased, beginning with the recording of vacation time on HRIS for Professionals/Managers and Confidential staff. During Phase 2, in Sept. 2009, divisions began tracking sick leave on HRIS for all Appointed Staff (www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/news/memoranda/0910/6.htm). We are now launching Phase 3: vacation tracking on HRIS for staff appointed USW employees.
The new process is not intended to be intrusive or to add more oversight but to provide a consistent mechanism to track vacation information on-line rather than solely at the local level. There will be a number of benefits, including:
- The availability of vacation tracking and entitlement reports to employees and managers through Employee Self-Service (ESS)
- An ability to accurately quantify the University’s accrued vacation pay liability for purposes of financial statements
- Inclusion of vacation time taken on staff pay statements
Over the next several weeks, we will be asking Business Officers / Unit Administrators / Managers and other administrative staff to ensure that they have accurate data on the amount of vacation time banked for staff appointed USW employees. Then beginning on June 1, 2010, HRIS will be available for HRIS users to (1) record the vacation balances and (2) track vacation of staff appointed USW employees.
Detailed instructions will be sent directly to Chief Administrative Officers, Business Officers and other HRIS users shortly. We ask for you support in ensuring that all managers and Principal Investigators who have USW staff reporting to them are aware of this initiative and are prepared to support the process moving forward.
Should you have any questions, please contact your divisional HR office.