|Date:||June 6, 2012|
|To:||Senior Research Associates & Research Associates (Limited Term)|
|From:||Christina Sass-Kortsak, Assistant Vice-President, Human Resources|
|Cc:||Divisional HR Offices|
|Re:||Implementation of New Vacation Policy for SRAs and RAs (Limited Term)|
As announced in Angela Hildyard’s memo of March 22, a new Vacation Policy for Senior Research Associates and Research Associates (Limited Term) was approved by the Business Board, which will be effective July 1, 2012.
For those of you who have not had the opportunity to review the new Vacation Policy, some of the key provisions are:
- SRAs and RAs (Limited Term) will accrue vacation on a monthly basis based on their length of service with the University.
- The minimum annual vacation entitlement is 20 days.
- The maximum annual entitlement for SRAs is 25 days; and, 20 days for RAs (Limited Term).
- For part-time SRAs and RAs (Limited Term), annual vacation entitlement is pro-rated according to the percentage of their appointment.
- SRAs and RAs (Limited Term) may accumulate vacation credits up to a maximum of the annual vacation entitlement plus five days with the written approval of the Principal Investigator.
In preparation for implementation of the new policy on July 1, we are asking the Divisional HR Offices to work with Principal Investigators, Business Officers and each SRA and RA (Limited Term) to:
- Determine the vacation balance, if any, for each SRA and RA (Limited Term) as of June 30, 2012. That vacation balance will be carried forward to July 1, 2012.
- Set up a vacation tracker for each SRA and RA (Limited Term) effective July 1, 2012, at which time vacation entitlement under the new policy will begin accruing. The vacation tracker will automatically calculate vacation entitlement on a monthly basis and should be used by units to record vacation days taken.
You should be contacted about this process within the next month.
Should you have any questions concerning the new vacation policy, please contact your Divisional Human Resources Office.