|Date:||November 14, 2012|
|To:||Employees in the USW Staff-Appointed Unit, Local 1998|
|From:||Christina Sass-Kortsak, Assistant Vice-President, Human Resources|
|Re:||Update – How will the Wave 7 implementation affect you?|
As you are aware, the University and USW Local 1998 signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) on Friday, November 2, 2012 that allows us to move forward with implementing the ratings and pay bands for positions in Wave 7.
We can now confirm that the implementation will occur in November.
We’d like to provide you with more information regarding the implementation of the ‘Wave 7’ positions in the new job evaluation system. ‘Wave 7’ positions refer to those positions that were newly-created or reclassified during the period from August 2007 to May 2011. Positions in Waves 1-6 were implemented in July of 2011.
Please note: The outcome of any reclassification requests that were received from employees between April 8, 2011 and May 31, 2011 is also being implemented at this time. This message will cover:
- How might your salary be impacted?
- Have all the positions in Wave 7 been reclassified? Is this process complete?
- When will I find out about my position?
- Where can I get more information?
How might your salary be impacted?
In accordance with the Memorandum of Settlement agreed to between the Union and the University in 2011, for those positions that have been rated in Wave 7, the following will occur:
1. Incumbents whose salaries are below the new salary range will see immediate movement to the minimum of their new range, with step progression on their next scheduled salary adjustment date.
Retroactive pay adjustments are limited to those employees whose salaries fall below the minimum of their new salary range.
As outlined in the Memorandum of Settlement, these salary adjustments are retroactive to July 1, 2007. All adjustments will be paid as lump sum amounts. Retroactive adjustments for Wave 7 positions will be split into two payments:
- Adjustments for the period of July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2010 will be paid out in the November 2012 pay; and,
- Adjustments for the period of July 1, 2010 to October 31, 2012 will be paid by May 1, 2013.
- Incumbents whose salaries are already within their new range will remain at their current salary, with step progression on their next scheduled salary adjustment date; and
- Incumbents whose salaries are above their new range will receive across-the-board increases, but no step increases, for as long as they continue to hold their current position (also known as “green circling”).Please note: Contrary to how the Union’s recent communication might be read, not all employees in Wave 7 are entitled to base pay adjustments. Only those covered by point # 1 above are eligible.Have all the positions in Wave 7 been reclassified? Is this process complete?
It is important to understand that the Union and the University have not yet reached agreement on the classifications and rating for all of the Wave 7 positions. There are essentially three categories among the positions being implemented in this phase:
1. Positions on which the Union and the University have reached agreement or have been arbitrated (referred to as ‘Category C’).
2. Positions for which the rating is still in dispute (referred to as ‘Category D’). In these cases the University’s rating is being implemented on a provisional basis. The rating will be amended, if necessary, once the dispute has been resolved.
3. Positions for which no employee questionnaire was completed (referred to as ‘Categories A & B’). In these cases the University’s rating (arrived at using the job description) is being implemented. Employees in these positions will have until February 8, 2013 to submit a request for review should they disagree with their job class placement. Further information will be provided to those whose positions are in this category, advising on how to submit a request for review.
When will I find out about my position?
All employees in positions that are captured within this implementation cycle will receive personalized letters from the University during the last week of November outlining their new job class, ratings and any retroactivity that is applicable. There are a small number of Wave 7 positions that will be implemented in December rather than November. Individuals in these positions will receive their letters during the week of December 17.
Where can I get more information?
Human Resources, University of Toronto
Please contact your Divisional HR Office on specific questions.
Updates on the process, including a list of Frequently Asked Questions, will be posted here.
Details on the background of the project and the New Pay Structure that was put in place as of July 1, 2011 can be found here.
Inquiries may also be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Steelworkers Local 1998: