March 2, 2016
Why is U of T a Family-Friendly Employer?
For the fourth consecutive year, the University of Toronto has been named one of Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers.
Kaye Francis, the University’s Family Care Office Manager, noted the award underscores the Office’s day-to-day mission. “Our work with students, staff, and faculty involves providing resources, referrals, and educational programming on family-related life events or concerns.”
U of T’s recognition comes in part from a number of initiatives including:
- Workshops for staff such as Developing Your Career While Raising a Family;
- Employment and career counselling assistance for partners of new faculty who are relocating to the Greater Toronto Area to assist them with the transition; and,
- The annual Bring Our Children to Work Day where children of U of T staff and faculty visit their parents’ campus for a day filled with presentations, tours, and job shadowing
Francis says that the award also speaks to the University as a place that recognizes the ever-shifting work-life demands experienced by faculty, staff, and students: “It emphasizes that U of T values family, and it is always striving to have policies and resources in place that will address family issues.”
Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers is an annual competition run by Mediacorp Canada Inc. in partnership with the Globe and Mail. For more information about U of T’s Top Employer Awards for 2016, visit:
U of T’s Top Employer Awards for 2016
The University of Toronto was also recently recognized for the following:
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 2016
In February, the University of Toronto was honoured as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 2016.
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2016
In December, the University of Toronto was recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2016.
- Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2016
In November, the University of Toronto was recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2016.