As you plan your end-of-year staff events, we are sending our annual reminder missive regarding our legal obligations according to the Liquor License Act, University policy such as the University Alcohol Policy, and general laws.
Many of you already have alcohol-free events, so the only rule here is: enjoy!
If you are planning on serving alcohol, though, please remember the following:
- If you’re serving alcoholic beverages, you also have to serve non-alcoholic beverages and food
- If you’re providing a cash bar, consider providing non-alcoholic beverages for free
- All alcohol served on University premises must be purchased through your campus’ Beverage Services department — they represent the license holder
- If the party is hosted on University premises, you have to be able to control occupancy, and the location has to meet certain physical requirements (sufficient exit capacity, lack of trip hazards, etc.)
- Alcohol must be served by a server trained in accordance with the requirements of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, and your campus’ alcohol service protocols
- Controls must be in place to ensure that persons not legally entitled to consume alcohol (intoxicated persons, or persons under the age of 19) don’t
Please circulate this information widely in your area.
Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season,
Vice-President, University Operations
Vice-President, Human Resources & Equity
November 16, 2016